What Are Nutrition Facts?
Nutrition facts are the facts of all those nutrition which is inside that specific food such as macronutrients (protein, carbs, fats) & micronutrients (vitamins & minerals).
Do you guys often get confused or maybe not aware of how to read the nutrition label of any food products? I know there are lots of questions running in your mind regarding how to look at, what to see, what is a bad nutrition label & what is a good nutrition label, right?
No worries at all, I am here to explain to you in the very easiest way, this is not rocket science where you guys need to study Chemical Engineering – totally not, it’s only about basic things you have to keep in mind.
Above graphic is the random nutritional label where I have pointed seven steps. So I will explain to you below one by one as:
- step 1: Here you will start reading the nutrition label like serving size which can be serving 1 or 2 depending upon the specific nutrition labels. Based on the above label, it suggests 32g per serve, you will now only look at those values under 32g only.
- Step 2:Now in this step you need to check calories per serving. Example: 32g serve has 204 kcal
- step 3:In this step you will see the protein content of the particular food you are having. For example, the 32g serve contains 10g of protein.
- step 4:In this step you will see the carbohydrate content of the particular food you are having. For example, the 32g serve contains 6g of total carbs out of which 3g of dietary fiber is in it. ∗ Note: I will cover the full blog on fiber soon.
- step 5: In this step, you will see the fat content of the particular food you are having. For example, the 32g serve contains 16g of total fat out which is 2g of saturated fat. Note: I will cover the full blog on types of fat soon.
- step 6: In this step, you will see the cholesterol content of the particular food you are having.For Example, 32g serve contains 0g of cholesterol.
- step 7: In this step, you will see the sodium content of a particular food. For example, a 32g serving contains 6g of sodium. Note: sodium requirement is 2400 milligrams per day.
Now I will tell you guys how to calculate calories by taking the above food label which mentioned 204kcal per serving,
→ 1g of protein = 4cal, taking above example 32g of serving contains 10g of protein so the total becomes 10g x 4cal = 40calories.
→ a single gram of carbohydrates = 4cal, taking above example 32g of serving contains 6g of carbohydrates so the total become 6g x 4cal = 24calories.
→ one gram of fat = 9cal, taking above example 32g of serving contains 16g of fat so the total becomes 16g x 9cal =144 calories
Total of all three calories protein/carbs/fats i.e. 40+24+144 = 208 calories . In this way, you will calculate the calories. ∗Note: Minor difference in the calories can be negotiable.
I hope you all understand the concept of Nutrition Facts. If you have any query please feel free to leave a comment.